[council] Response from ICANN Board chair with regard to the proposed .biz, .info and .org agreements

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Thu Nov 23 11:19:30 UTC 2006

Hello Norbert,

> = =
> The Board receives inputs from many sources and these inputs
> are frequently conflicting in their character. The Board is
> obligated to reach conclusions despite variations in the
> recommendations it receives.
> If the Board conclusions differ from recommendations of the
> GNSO, it will be a consequence of considering all advice
> received including that of the GNSO Council.

I think we need to distinguish between recommendations that result from
a policy development process, from simple Council resolutions.   The
former are specifically covered in the bylaws, and there are formal
procedures for the Board to respond to those recommendations.

With respect to the current agreements, the Board is receiving public
comments.   I am sure that the Board will take input from the Council or
a GNSO Constituency with a higher "weight" than from a single
individual.   There is however no formal requirements with respect to
"how much" weight.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin