[council] Nominations and Voting Procedure for GNSO Council Chair

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 01:40:59 UTC 2006

Hello,

--- "GNSO.SECRETARIAT at GNSO.ICANN.ORG"
<gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org> wrote:

> [To: council[at]gnso.icann.org]
>
> Dear Council Members,
>
> A. NOMINATIONS
>
> A formal nomination period, for the election of GNSO Council chair
> for
> the period 3 December 2006 until the end of the ICANN Annual
> General
> Meeting in 2007, is now open for two weeks from Monday 27 November
> Monday 11 December 2006 ending at 11:59 UTC.
>
> All nominations should be seconded and only GNSO Council members
> are
> eligible to make nominations.
>
> Please send all nominations and seconds to:
> gnso.secretariat[at]gnso.icann.org
>
> Nominations and seconds will be acknowledged and posted to the
> council list.

If we are to send the nominations (and, supposedly, secondments) to
the Secretariat, then it seems to me that we can only have
nominations (and, possibly, concurrent nominations of the same
person) in that initial period, and the secondments only when the
nominations are posted to the council list (when all council members
get to know who has actually been nominated.)

Unless we are assuming that:
i) members would talk to each other and agree to one nominating and
the other one seconding the same person (do I want to intrigue with
my colleagues before nominating a deserving candidate?);
ii) one sends in a blind secondment, pending and at the condition
that the candidate be first nominated by someone else (why would one
want ONLY to second a candidate but not just nominate her?); or
iii) other farther-fetched mechanism.

Wouldn't it be much simpler and straigthforward to have the
nominations and then the secondments posted directly to the list?
What do you think?

Mawaki