[council] Welcome Letter to ICANN's Sao Paulo Meeting

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Nov 29 08:43:12 UTC 2006

To Our Supporting Organizations-

We are looking forward to working with you in São Paulo, and, as ever, we are most grateful for your
efforts.

As you know, most of the meetings, sessions and workshops are open to anyone expressing interest.
More than ever before, broad participation in our bottom-up consensus-development process is essential to the stable and secure evolution of the Internet.   You can take part in these meetings by attending in person, by taking part in the webcast and remote participation opportunities, and/or by joining one of the various ICANN-related mailing lists. The local host's website contains more information about the venue, transportation and hotels in São Paulo.

As part of its commitment to the internationalisation of its processes, ICANN will be running sessions in Spanish, Portuguese and English at this São Paulo meeting.

You will be keen to learn that ICANN has considerable progress to report on its 2007-2009 strategic plan projects, which were developed in response to the community's priorities and after extensive consultation with the community. There will also be a number of reports on other topics of relevance to the ICANN community, including:

* Joint Project Agreement and a post-MoU ICANN

* Update on the Internet Governance Forum in Athens and the President's Strategy Committee

* Nominating Committee Report

* IDN Update

* Update on Strategic Planning

* ICANN Operational Plan and Budget for FY06-07

Other topics of interest on the schedule include:

* Our meetings, their structure, content and relevance

* Updates on IDNs, IPv6, and the Domain Name Marketplace

* Supporting Organization and Advisory Committee Activities

* Whois and new TLDs

* Report on the IANA Process

We look forward to seeing you in São Paulo and participating with you in these important discussions on
Internet security and stability.

Paul Twomey
President and CEO

And