[council] Domain Tasting

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Apr 9 16:25:25 UTC 2007

As mentioned briefly at the GNSO Council meeting in Lisbon, the
At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) is in the process of submitting a
request for an Issues Report from ICANN staff on the subject of
Domain Tasting - specifically the exploitation of the 5-day (or 120
hour) Add Grace Period during which a domain can be deleted (among
other things) for a full credit of registration charges.

In order to maximize the chances for a properly framed Issues report
and ultimately a successful PDP (if deemed necessary), it has been
recommended that the ALAC seek support from interested GNSO
constituencies including their views of why the domain tasting policy
should be changed, the positive or negative effects of such a change,
and how such a change falls under the scope of the GNSO PDP
(http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#AnnexA) and Consensus
Policies as defined in Registry agreements.

Our intent is to have a draft request for an Issues Report ready by
April 23, and the request finalized by April 30. I therefore request
your input with due haste.

Alan Greenberg
ALAC Liaison to the GNSO