[council] RN-WG SoW

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Wed Apr 11 20:49:12 UTC 2007

Aren't we simply looking to extend the term of the RN WG? Why are we
discussing substantively changing the SOW after the group has already
convened?

On 11-Apr-07, at 2:18 PM, Mike Rodenbaugh wrote:

> I move to change the SoW objective re ICANN/IANA names from "Maintain
> status quo for now regarding ASCII names" to 'explore basis for
> current
> reservation, and whether to continue it.'
>

> Staff said months ago, during the initial WG session, that they were
> looking into any basis for this reservation.  I strongly suspect there
> is no other basis than potential user confusion, aka brand protection.
> There has been plenty of time to come up with other reasons, and
> now 30
> days more.  The WG and Council should consider whether to continue
> it in
> newTLD contracts.
>

> Mike Rodenbaugh
>
> Sr. Legal Director
>
> Yahoo! Inc.
>

>   _____

Ross Rader
Director, Retail Services
t. 416.538.5492
c. 416.828.8783
http://www.domaindirect.com

"To solve the problems of today, we must focus on tomorrow."
- Erik Nupponen