[council] Next GNSO Council chair - and Vice-chairs ?

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Apr 16 18:00:06 UTC 2007

Hi,

I do not see this as a new management structure, but rather as way to
enhance the scalability of the chair role.  The role of the chair
remains unchanged with the v-chair assists in carrying out the role.

We avoided talking about this a while back because we figured we
would wait until the review, but i think this is really a minor thing
that could be done by the council.  I am not sure, however, that we
have the time to do it before the current interim election.

The more difficult question for me is how to pick a v-chair;

- the person who gets the second most votes in the chair election,
unless that is equal to 0 votes (or perhaps less then 4).
- a separate election
- picked by the chair.

For ease of process and to include the will of the largest minority,
i would favor the first alternative, with the second as a fall back.

I would not favor the last alternative, though i essence that is what
we could de-facto have if we do not formalize the selection. I.e. an
overworked or vacationing chair essentially chooses the person who
provides assistance or covers as chair.

a.