[council] GA

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Mon Aug 20 15:27:55 UTC 2007

On 20 aug 2007, at 11.13, Philip Sheppard wrote:

> Where does the GA appear in the by laws please ?
> What is its function?
> Philip

Specifically:

> Section XX.5.9. Upon the adoption of this Transition Article, and
> until further action by the ICANN Board, the GNSO Council shall
> assume responsibility for the DNSO General Assembly e-mail
> announcement and discussion lists.

As far as I can tell there has never been further action by the ICANN
board in this matter.

As for its purpose, I have assumed it fits under:

> X.3.4 In addition, the GNSO Council is responsible for managing
> open forums, in the form of mailing lists or otherwise, for the
> participation of all who are willing to contribute to the work of
> the GNSO; such forums shall be appropriately moderated to ensure
> maximum focus on the business of the GNSO and to minimize non-
> substantive and abusive postings.

Since we do maintain the GA list under the by-laws, and since it is
an open forum under othe council's responsibility, I believe we are
responsible for seeing that it is appropriately moderated to to
insure maximum focus.  Any one who follows that list, knows that
while it is occasionally focused on the business on the GSNO, it is
also rife with non-substantive and abusive postings.  There is,
however, a community of serious list participants who wish to make
the GA list a contributor, and it is this that I believe we should
encourage.

a.