[council] Proposed amendment to BCUC motion

Mike Rodenbaugh mxr at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Aug 30 21:25:56 UTC 2007

The GAC Communique from Lisbon, March 28, 2007, suggested:

The ICANN Community, working with other stakeholders, should gather
information on gTLD domain name registrations and registrants and how
WHOIS data is used and misused.  This information should be publicized
and used to inform future debate on this issue.

It was not part of the latest WG's Charter to undertake such a study, I
think because the Communique came out after we had resolved the Charter
(later the same day).  But that WG nevertheless came to the conclusion
that such a study should be undertaken for the same reason.

What is the harm in undertaking such a study now, before voting to move
forward with radical policy changes (OPoC, or Ross' proposal) that have
only been outlined, and are far from implementable proposals?

What would be the harm of waiting for the results of such a study,
before deciding on a path to completion of work on this issue?

I still have no idea what we would be voting on in November, per Avri's
proposal, since there is no implementable proposal on the table nor any
path to come up with one.

Mike Rodenbaugh