[council] Proposed amendment to BCUC motion

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Fri Aug 31 12:02:46 UTC 2007

Mike Rodenbaugh wrote:

> Ross please should be precise ASAP about the contract provisions he
> proposes Council to suggest be eliminated.

Council does not typically deal with the level of detail that you
propose Mike. In this case, I would foresee that if this motion is
successful that staff would prepare an information brief consisting of
this and other data that would facilitate the implementation of the motion.

 > And please advise when and
 > where this outcome was ever discussed in an ICANN public forum.

I am not exactly certain of the genesis of the proposal, but it is the
subject of a paper authored by Avri and similar to an idea circulated
through the GA by Danny Younger. I am certain you could find more
information on the notion by reviewing the transcripts of the relevant
meetings over the last year or so.

> Otherwise I think it is inappropriate for us to consider this motion,
> since the presented solution -- to a very important and long debated
> issue -- has not been debated substantially by the wider community,
> including several Working Groups designed to discuss the issues.  To
> consider such a solution at Council would discredit the premise that
> ICANN is a bottom-up organization focused on consensus-based
> policymaking.

Again, I think you are confused about my proposal. Nothing I propose
threatens ICANN's legitimacy as a consensus-based, bottom-up policy
making organization. In fact, I believe my proposal furthers its
legitimacy in this area. Specifically, my proposal deals with a series
of requirements that are in fact *not* ICANN policy, yet we proceed with
this status quo as if it has the support of the community simply because
"this is the way its always been". My proposals recognizes this fact and
allows us the opportunity to clear the way for real consensus based
policy by eliminating the arbitrary determinations set forth in those
contracts. This will allow the community the opportunity to come to the
table and discuss the issue with the benefit of a clean slate, if it
desires. And if there is consensus that there should be a policy-based
means to provide and manage the Whois services, then we can initiate a
PDP to find that common-ground and implement binding policy.

> We should focus on the incremental consensus that has been reached, and
> next steps to an implementable Consensus Policy.

What incremental consensus is that? None of the IP lobby that I'm aware
of supports the OPOC proposal and continues to view it as problematic
even in light of the tangled mess of proposed changes that the captured
working group has tabled. Furthermore, even those that did initially
support the recommendations of the working group initially, for instance
the banking sector, have pulled back from their support due to their
failure to broaden the scope of the OPOC proposal sufficiently to ensure
their version of unfettered access to personal data.

There is no consensus on these proposals.

--
Regards,

Ross Rader
Director, Retail Services