[council] Proposed amendment to BCUC motion

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Fri Aug 31 17:00:47 UTC 2007

Mike Rodenbaugh wrote:
> It seems Verisign could sell the thin WHOIS data, particularly as to US
> residents, and there would be significant value since it would not be
> available any other way.  Perhaps that would be an Additional Registry
> Service and need to go through the funnel process.

Much of the thin whois data, if not all, is already available through
publicly accessible means outside of the Whois (daily zone file updates,
drop reports, etc.)

Besides, even if there was a market for this data (which may or may not
be the case, I dunno) what does it matter if Verisign sells it? Surely
it is not your policy objective to prevent a commercial from engaging in
a competitive marketplace within the constraints of its operating contracts.

--
Regards,

Ross Rader
Director, Retail Services