[council] on GNSO travel funding

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Thu Dec 6 21:58:56 UTC 2007

There is another aspect to gnso council travel funding that we
haven't quite touched upon: the need for the GNSO to be a fully
funded organ within ICANN.

In some sense, the GNSO is supposed to act as a "check" against
ICANN, the organization.  We cannot allow the GNSO, the "bottom-up"
policymaking arm, to be starved of resources while ICANN (the
organization) grows in leaps and bounds.

I think a fundamental issue here is providing the GNSO with the
resources that it needs to do its job within ICANN and thus ensure
the "bottom-up" value is protected.

Robin