[council] Draft - Appeal to Board relating to IDNC WG

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Wed Dec 19 22:34:16 UTC 2007

Thanks to both Avri and the team for this draft.   I also support
Chuck's proposed edits to the draft.

The sooner we can transmit the letter to the board, the better.

A fundamental question to be answered by the entire community is
"where to draw the line between ccTLD space and gTLD space?"

Robin

On Dec 19, 2007, at 2:13 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Thanks Avri. This was very well written.  I compliment the group in
> getting this down in writing.
>
> In case we do decide to send this document, here are a few minor edits
> and some other suggested changes that I think are nonmaterial in terms
> of the content plus a few observations and questions.
>
> I think it would be helpful to do a global change of "Council" to
> "GNSO
> Council" just to make it clear which Council we are talking about
> because the ccNSO has a Council as well.
>
> 1st paragraph, 2nd sentence: change "limited number of IDN TLD
> representing territories" to "limited number of IDN TLDs representing
> territories".
>
> End of 2nd paragraph: I suggest we change 'IDN ccTLDs' to 'IDN TLDs
> associated with ISO 3166-1 country codes' with a footnote that says
> something like, "Throughout the rest of this document we use the term
> 'IDN ccTLDs' because that is the term used by the Board, the ccNSO and
> the GAC."  The rationale for this change is to recognize that IDN TLDs
> are not really ccTLDs until such time as a decision is made to
> apportion
> the IDN TLDs to the ccNSO, thereby being consistent with our
> argument in
> the text that follows.
>
> Under 'Basis for allocating TLDs to the GTLD and ccTLD name
> spaces', 2nd
> paragraph, 3rd sentence: change 'IDN ccTLD' to 'IDN ccTLDs'.
>
> In the same section, 4th paragraph, 2nd sentence: I would put 'Among
> most in the GNSO' in brackets until such time that we establish
> that is
> the case and also suggest that we may want to say 'Among most on the
> GNSO Council' unless we plan to involve the broader GNSO in making
> this
> determination.
>
> The same sentence says, "the assumption is still that all TLDs, except
> for .mil, .edu, and the ISO3166-1 defined ccTLDs remain within the
> remit
> of the GNSO."  Shouldn't we also include .int, .arpa and .gov?
>
> The last sentence of the same paragraph reads, "The conclusions of
> such
> a process should also be permit, and may also require, a
> redefinition of
> the ccNSO and GNSO remits as they are currently defined."  First, I
> think the word 'be' should be deleted.  Second, where is the
> definition
> of the GNSO name space currently defined?  I understand that some
> assume
> the definition in this document, but what is that assumption based on?
> If it is not defined anywhere other than in people's memory, we may
> want
> to say, "a definition of the ccNSO and GNSO name spaces."
>
> Footnote 2: I believe "It should noted that the recommends . . "
> should
> say, "It should noted that the recommendations . . "

> [...]

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org