[council] FW: Suggested edits for the SoW for the Working Group on "Protecting the rights of others"

Ute Decker Ute.Decker at ifpi.org
Thu Feb 1 16:56:36 UTC 2007

The additional section on the formation of the working group is very
helpful as a basis for discussion on the call, thanks (the timelines are
more than ambitious though).  The edits to the 'Suggested Outline of
Woking Group Work Plan' section all seem helpful.  However, the
suggested changes to the 'proposed purpose' section are problematic.

E.g., Chuck's edits would include:  "This could include recommendations
for practices that attempt to minimize abusive registration activities
that affect the legal rights o others. That could include measures to
discourage the registration of domain names that infringe intellectual
property rights and minimize abusive registrations."  (1st para,
sentences 2 &3).

We understand these two sentences to mean that the adoption by new
gTLD/sTLD registries of policies or mechanisms to prevent abusive
registrations should be optional.  If that is correct, we object.  A
requirement for mechanisms to protect the rights of others (including
preventive mechanisms) against abusive registrations is essential.  See,
for example, Terms of Reference 2, Paragraph 13, GNSO Initial Report,
Introduction of New Generic Top Level Domains, July 2006 calling for the
introduction of policies to "address domain name registration
violations", as well as the message circulated by Bruce just a few weeks
ago (and attached again).  If the edits serve another purpose (e.g.
reflect the status of the PDP Dec05 work) this should be clarified in a
way that carries forward and does not distract from the understanding
that protection against abusive registrations will be a requirement for
new TLDs.

Apologies that I will not be able to join the call tonight.  I take it
that thankfully Kristina will be on for the IPC.

Best wishes

Ute