[council] GNSO review - the easy wins

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Thu Feb 15 13:54:55 UTC 2007

On 15-Feb-07, at 4:24 AM, Philip Sheppard wrote:

> I hope you agree this is a good idea to demonstrate Council's
> enthusiasm for
> self-improvement.

I do not.

The LSE report was input for the Board. It is one of many inputs that
need to be considered, including that of the GNSO itself, the larger
community, etc. We do not yet know how the board will consider these
inputs. I don't think its prudent to chase down anything without
understanding what the board objectives and priorities are.

We already know that the Board Governance committee has formulated a
plan to pursue this work, specifically; "...the Board Governance
committee had on its agenda for final approval, a process for GNSO
improvements that entailed creating a joint Board-GNSO working group
to consider the recommendations raised in the Patrick Sharry Council
Review, the LSE review and other input from the GNSO and the public
to develop specific recommendations to be considered by the ICANN
Board." (Denise Michel, Nov. 16 Council meeting, http://
gnso.icann.org/meetings/minutes-gnso-16nov06.shtml"

Why would we want to purposely work outside this process? We have too
many "shiny objects" we're chasing as it is. Some restraint in terms
of what we focus on and what we don't is in order. It is premature to
undertake this work in a piecemeal manner. While you may be
"reluctant to give the neophytes a scalpel", running off in our own
direction with the full knowledge that the Board is about to
implement a complete process to help us implement a set of
recommendations that we broadly agree to (with the support of the
larger community) sounds incredibly counter-productive.

If anything, now is the time to demonstrate our enthusiasm for
working *with* the Board and community and not against it.

I also think its time to pack up any paranoia you may have about who
gets the scalpel and what their level of experience is and focus on
taking a much more positive view of the situation and environment.
Your rhetoric is polarizing an divisive. It politicizes the process
and will not lead to a productive or positive outcome.

Ross Rader
Director, Retail Services
t. 416.538.5492
c. 416.828.8783
http://www.domaindirect.com

"To solve the problems of today, we must focus on tomorrow."
- Erik Nupponen