[council] Regarding working group membership

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 12:50:16 UTC 2007

Hello Bruce & Council,

The following step may be a useful one to have in addition to

> (2) If a participant is ineligible to join a constituency, then
> direct the participant to a process to determine if they are
> suitable as an "expert".

However, it may be desirable, useful and healthy to have the GNSO
Council involved one way or the other in the Constituency membership
formation. This is to avoid that a constituency becomes a like-minded
clique that would tend to refuse membership to parties on the ground
of fantasist reasons, or even worse, with the intent to exclude
differences from their worldview and particular interests. This leads
to a de facto privatization of the principe and function of the
Constituency, instead of it being the Home for the whole global
community of interest and practice (relevant to each constituency
identity) from where they could meaningfully participate in the ICANN
policy processes.

The involvement of the Council needs not to be at the whole level of
its own membership, or to supersede the Constituency role of
evaluating membership applications. It may be done at the level of a
Council's sub-Committee, for example, that will check if the
objective membership criteria in a constituency's bylaws are met or
not by the applicants, examine further the disputed decisions on the
motivated request of the applicant, and provide final
recommendations. If deemed necessary, the process could go as far as
calling for public comments including some sort of reputation check
from the community, etc. After all this doesn't need to be kept
secret, and it might even be a good outreach policy for the GNSO and
its constituencies.

Those are just initial ideas. The Council may of course change/adapt
the implementation details after discussion.

Regards,

Mawaki