[council] Regarding working group membership

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Tue Feb 20 14:25:10 UTC 2007

On 19-Feb-07, at 10:57 PM, Bruce Tonkin wrote:

> I have heard of instances
> where interested parties that wish to join the IDN working group have
> been unable to join a constituency in order to participate.

Bruce -

Thanks for the recap and proposal.

The framework you've outlined only goes part of the way towards
solving the problem. As long as the GNSO is populated with
constituencies that have very narrow membership criteria we will
continue to encounter parties that are unable to participate in
working groups. I do not believe that it is the role of the Council
to act as the general manager of the constituencies, but the council
has a strong interest in ensuring the proper function of its working
groups as we strive to ensure the integrity of our policy development
process.

In this situation, the interests of the constituencies (preserve a
very narrow membership criteria so as not to dilute the lobbying
position of the original stakeholder groups) and the interests of the
Council (ensure a diversity of voices to underpin a broad consensus
around key policies) are at odds.

Until such time that the constituencies can provide the diversity of
input that our processes require, we should seriously consider
implementing a temporary framework that would allow for greater
participation in the working groups and task forces without the high
bar that qualifying as an expert (or creating a new constituency)
requires in situations where a stakeholder has applied for membership
in a constituency, but does not qualify due to the narrow
qualification criteria employed by a constituency.

Regards,

Ross Rader
Director, Retail Services
t. 416.538.5492
c. 416.828.8783
http://www.domaindirect.com

"To solve the problems of today, we must focus on tomorrow."
- Erik Nupponen