[council] Draft Statement of Work for Sunrise Working Group

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Jan 13 16:26:28 UTC 2007

Hi,

Some initial comments/questions:

Re Proposed Purpose.  The purpose as written presupposes that sunrise
policies and processes are a good thing and we merely have to
determine if they are as good as they should be.  The purpose of the
working group should also include the need to determine whether
sunrise policies and processes have a negative or positive effect on
the network.

Re Requirements for sunrise policies and processes;  We should
analyze the problem that sunrise policies are meant to solve.  And
before deciding that sunrise policies are the answer to these
requirements analyze both the positive and negative effects of
sunrise  policies and processes.

Re 1 - we also need to analyze the negative effects, actual and
theoretical, of sunrise policies.

re II: we should not only measure the happiness of the users of these
processes but also the effect on the Internet in general.  E.g. o
these policies interfere with competition by giving global
monopolistic control to words and their variants to trademark claimants?

This especially concerns me once we get to IDN's.  what will be the
impact of sunrise in IDN 'equivalents'.  We need to determine the
relation of transliteration and translation and applicable national
regulations to the use of sunrise policies/processes to capture and
control local language markets.

In terms of membership I reiterate my comment about outreach.  I
would like to see someone from Creative Commons or some other similar
viewed organization included as well as strong language community
representation.  Also, to reiterate one of my normal remark, I would
like to make sure that nomcom appointees are not excluded from the
WG.  Then again, I favor a larrger working group to accommodate many
points of view and widespread discussion.

thanks
a.