[council] Question re. ICANN Annual Report

Kurt Pritz pritz at icann.org
Mon Jan 29 02:58:20 UTC 2007

Chuck and all:

If I may elaborate on Denise's email, "the establishment of new gTLD
program office" is shorthand for the implementation of new gTLD
policy currently being developed. After the policy development is
completed, the RFPs are written, application processes are fleshed
out, fees are calculated, pro forma agreements are posted,
independent panels are populated, and processes are in execution --
the program office will be left  to "run" the TLD process on an
ongoing basis, it is the entity resulting from the close-out of the
New gTLD Project. Having said that, this does not imply the creation
a big ol' program office: the word 'program' connotes the on-going
nature of the entity (as opposed to 'project' which connotes an
effort with a foreseeable end). The allocation for the program office
will be part of the public ICANN operating planning and budgeting
discussion.

Regarding the second issue, I think there is universal understanding
that the working group was launched for reasons described by the
posting: http://www.gnso.icann.org/announcements/
announcement-18nov06.htm. The writing in the Annual Plan you describe
predates the working group document - it is still a question that may
be considered by the working group as a subset of the issues
described in the working group posting.

Hope this is helpful.

Kurt

Kurt Pritz