[council] Background for agenda Item 8 - Planning for LA

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Jul 10 16:21:22 UTC 2007

Hi,

> Item 8: Initial planning for LA (10 min)
>
> 8.1 Review suggestion for full day equivalent session on New gTLD
> recommendations
> It has been suggested that it would be useful to do a full day's
> meeting (perhaps split into two sessions on different days) to
> cover all of the recommendations in the New gTLD PDP that will have
> been sent on to the board by then. Different council members could
> take leadership of discussion section on each of the recommendations.

The reason for this suggestion is that the recommendations will have
been sent on to the board by this time and the subject matter will be
under discussion during the meeting.  The thought was that some of
the recommendations are complex and would gain from a council
explanation of the thinking behind the resolutions and the
implications for implementation.  This session would be cast as an
extended tutorial in terms of explanation and Q&A.

The council needs to decide if we support this recommendation.  If
so, we need to start planning.  One issue that has come up regarding
this session is the reality of a crowded M-F schedule.  An option
that has been mentioned involves doing this session on Sunday before
the meeting.  This would mean either cutting the GNSO pre-session
work to a single day, which may not be a problem, or starting earlier
- on Friday.  The council should decide on this as soon as possible
in order to allow announcements and scheduling if we decide that we
want to do this.

> 8.2 - suggestion for restructuring Public Forum + Public meetings
>
> Proposal to try an experiment with the Public Forum and public
> council meeting in LA. Instead of the current arrangement of a
> meeting for listening and then a meeting for talking, we could
> divide a 4 hour meeting up into topical sections. Each topic could
> then be structured to include:
> - Constituency Overview on the Topic
> - Public comment on the topic
> - Council discussion and resolution on the Topic.

This recommendation comes out of a desire to respond to the
frustration expressed in the GSNO Open Forum in SJ.

thanks
a.