[council] Issue concerning votes on PDP

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Jul 12 21:43:14 UTC 2007

Hi,

To follow up on today's topic about needing to decide whether we vote
on a PDP's recommendations individually or grouped.

As Philip suggested during today's discussion it could be useful to
determine when the Terms of Reference for a PDP were being developed
whether they were to be developed as a integral set of
recommendations or as individual recommendations.  It is also
possible that it may sometimes be difficult to know this at the
beginning or that during the process of developing the
recommendations, some or all of them could naturally aggregate as
groups.

In any case, since the by-laws leave it open as to whether the
recommendations are considered individually, as several groups or as
a single group, I believe that we need to leave this open to decision
at the time of the council vote on the PDP, especially when not prior
determinations has been made.

My recommendation for a process is:

i   - The default is to vote on a PDP's recommendations as a single
group.

ii  - If the the Terms of Reference for the PDP or the committee,
task force or working group recommends considering on them in a
specific manner; i.e., either individually, in groups or in a single
group, then this recommendation should serve as the default.

iii- In either case, a councillor may make the motion, which would
need to be seconded, to either separate the recommendations or group
them; i.e, to do something different then the basic default or
recommended action.  The decision would require a simple majority
vote of the council.

I would like to follow this recommendation starting with the vote on
contractual conditions scheduled for the 9 August meeting.

Discussion, comments, questions, clarifications?

thanks
a.