[council] Point for Discussion

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Fri Jul 13 15:29:35 UTC 2007

Robin Gross wrote:
> I agree that we should reform the bylaws to permit proxy voting, and it
> sounds like this initiative would have to come from the Board, so
> perhaps we should have a conversation with the Board on this issue.

At the same time, we should request an update on the implementation of
this Council resolution;

20061116-5

     The recommendations of the LSE regarding term limits for GNSO
Council members should be adopted immediately by the GNSO Council with
no grandfathering except in connection with the ability of a council
member to serve out their existing term. A council member can serve no
more than two consecutive terms (regardless of duration). Moreover, a
former council member must remain off the GNSO Council for one full term
prior to serving any subsequent term. However, there shall be an
exception to the two term limit in connection with special circumstances
(I.e. Geographic diversity requirements) where a constituency is unable
to find an alternative representative to serve. In applying this special
circumstance exception, the existence of an otherwise qualified
candidate willing to serve on the council within that constituency shall
constitute a non-rebuttable indication that special circumstances do not
exist. The GNSO Council will forward this recommendation to the ICANN
Board of Directors for implementation in the bylaws and also recommend
to the GNSO Constituencies that they voluntarily adopt these practices
until such time that they have been formally implemented by the Council
and Board.

--
Regards,

Ross Rader