[council] Point for Discussion

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Fri Jul 13 16:47:15 UTC 2007

Avri Doria wrote:

> I also favor an approach that includes a prohibition against using a
> proxy mechanism to avoid a required abstention based on a conflict of
> interest.

Why? My interests and those of my constituency can be different. For
instance, I have conflicts related to my employment with Tucows that
other councillors may not share. Why should that prevent the registrar
constituency from casting one of its ballots through proxy?

As a general rule, I'd really prefer if we adopted a very simple set of
rules governing the use of proxy's, and would strongly prefer if we just
implemented the old rules as  starting point that we could adjust over
time. I don't see a need to overthink or overengineer this simply to
take into account "what-if's" that have never come into play during the
history of the DNSO/GNSO.

--
Regards,

Ross Rader