[council] Formal resignation of Bruce Tonkin as of 7 June 2007

Alejandro Pisanty apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Fri Jun 8 06:34:20 UTC 2007

Bruce, friends in the GNSO Council,

allow me for once to break my self-imposed rule of not interfering with
the GNSO Council's online deliberation.

These are the last hours of my term in the ICANN Board, voted into it by
the GNSO Council on several occasions. It has been an honor.

During my period of service I've witnessed and also participated in some
of ICANN's, and the GNSO's, most significant events. It has been a rich
learning period for all involved, and not less for me.

I've seen as my commitment, on the basis of the GNSO Council's vote, which
has always been plural, to contribute to maintain rationality, honesty,
and integrity in the discussions related to generic domain names, and the
environment in which those discussions and debates take place. I've sought
to make ICANN strong, I've not refrained from calling people's bluffs, nor
of making difficult choices be it that they make me popular or not. The
drive for rationality and integrity has been the main force for me.

A significant part of my effort in the latest years has gone into the
WSIS-related events and their sequels. I remain convinced that the
Internet community is in danger, that what we understand as "the
Internet", outside or within ICANN's narrow mission field, is
uncomfortable to totalitarian minds, and to the many who willingly or
unwittingly pave the road for them.

I hope to have served these purposes well and in that way to have
contributed to a robust environment for the GNSO as a whole.

Let me express my thankfulness to those who have supported me along the
years by providing candid feedback (agreeing or not), fair play, and in
many cases friendship.

Particular thanks go to dear Glen de St Gery, and to Liz Williams, Denise
Michel, and all ICANN staff that have been supportive of the growth and
work of the GNSO.

I'll enjoy to keep meeting you all and engaging in the continuing
developments you are pushing.

Last but not least, my fullest recognition for Bruce Tonkin, who has done
great work and will surely continue to do so in his new function.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . .  .  .  .  .  .
      Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Director General de Servicios de Computo Academico
UNAM, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
Tel. (+52-55) 5622-8541, 5622-8542 Fax 5622-8540
http://www.dgsca.unam.mx
*
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isoc.org
  Participa en ICANN, www.icann.org