[council] Vice Chair Position Statement

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Thu Jun 21 19:25:54 UTC 2007

As suggested by Glen, I am submitting this position statement in
response to my nomination for GNSO Council Vice Chair.

Let me start by saying that I fully understand that the role of vice
chair is new to the Council and that it may not be continued in the
future.  As I see it, this is a trial that will be evaluated by the
Council and as such the position may go away at the end of the current
term recently vacated by Bruce and now filled by Avri.

Until such time as the Council provides specific guidelines for the role
of vice chair, I am assuming that it will entail these responsibilities,
probably in the priority listed:

1.      Perform the role of chair when Avri is unable to do so

2.      At Avri's direction, assist her in fulfilling tasks that are
often assumed by the chair, thereby lightening her workload

3.      At the Council's direction, perform other tasks as needed.

With regard to filling the role of chair in Avri's absence, if and when
that occurs, I am committed to doing so in a neutral manner that
facilitates fully open and efficient debate on all issues regardless of
my personal view points or the views of the Registry Constituency that I
represent.  Whenever I express personal or constituency views I will
always try to preface such remarks appropriately.

Regarding assisting Avri and performing tasks requested by the Council,
I am committed to being as helpful as I can in contributing to the work
of the Council as needed.  Hopefully, this will not be any different
from the way I have functioned as a Council member to date or as I would
function in the future if I am not elected vice chair.

For those who may not know me very well I think it is helpful for me to
point out that I am a firm believer in open discussion of all points of
view.  I like to try to identify competing elements of issues and enjoy
others doing that as well.  I believe that the fuller airing we have,
the better decisions we will make.  In doing that though, people
sometimes think I am advocating for a particular position when I may in
fact just be attempting to make sure we cover as many sides as possible.
Also, I like to use questions to encourage discussion and help uncover
factors that might otherwise be overlooked.  I sincerely believe that
disagreement is healthy because it helps each of us validate our own
thinking and then work together to develop stronger positions.

Whether I am elected vice chair or not, I would request the following:
if anyone ever is unsure about the intent of my actions, please ask me,
and always feel free to disagree with me.

Chuck Gomes