[council] GNSO related meetings and events in Lisbon

Cary Karp ck at nic.museum
Sun Mar 18 10:26:10 UTC 2007

Quoting Sophia:

> which ever document is considered from RN (yes 128 pages) or IDN WG,
> it does not make sense to forge ahead without everyone that provided
> input.

My primary concern is that Council be given adequate time to consider
the documents submitted by the working groups. However much utility
might derive from a direct dialog between Council and the participants
in the working groups, at some point Council will need to thank the
w.g.members for their efforts, and then get to its own work of
assessing the w.g. recommendations in preparation for providing its
advice to the Board. Any curtailment of the attention Council can
focus on this devalues the input of the w.g.s, and is thus not an
appropriate way to acknowledge the time and energy they have
contributed.

> I highly recommend that we either reschedule or allot additional day,
> as Cary suggested

I certainly have no objection to rescheduling but am hard put to see
any realistic opportunities for doing so. A number of Councilors
participated in the w.g.s and can comment on details that may not be
apparent in the reports. All of the w.g. members and observers will be
able to participate in the GNSO Public Forum, during which the
substantive issues addressed by the w.g.s. will be open for full
plenary consideration.

/Cary