[council] Next steps with the new gTLD recommendations

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue May 29 11:42:19 UTC 2007

Hi,

I would like to comment on a few points.

I agree that the GNSO must not become a block to new TLDs and that
getting this policy developed is one of our highest priorities.  But
I also think we need to produce a policy recommendation that is
complete and balanced enough to be able to achieve consensus, if
possible, as well as address the complex interplay of elements with a
transparent, open, predictable and workable solution.  While delaying
the release of this policy is problematic, coming out with a policy
that is either not finished or does not have consensus would, to my
mind, be worse.  I am not arguing for the perfect solution and am
willing to satisfice, but I am arguing for a solution that is well
formed, workable and meets ICANN mission and core values as a minimal
condition.

In answer to your specific question, personally, I believe that we
will have to talk through each of the recommendations separately to
determine the council's, as a council not a committee of the whole,
level of support for each recommendation.  I think several questions
need to be considered:

- to what degree have we reached consensus on the recommendations?
While level of support was roughly measured on each of the
recommendations by the chair, those levels of support have never been
formalized with a list of councilors pro and con.

- to what extent does the council accept the aggregation of the
results from the 3 WGs (IDN, RN, PRO) into the committees draft final
report.  These WGs were neither the council nor the committee of the
whole itself and their recommendations need to be evaluated by the
council in relation to their inclusion in the new GTLD recommendations.

- in those cases where we have reached some sort of consensus, does
the text clearly represent what people are agreeing to? there were
often unresolved nuances in the discussions where we just moved on to
the next question perhaps to return at some future time to the open
issues.  On several occasions, the level of support was determined
while something was still being discussed and where the wording was
still somewhat fluid.  Does the text satisfy those who support the
recommendation?

Assuming that there is strong support for a recommendation as
written, we should be able to confirm that support with a list of
every councillor that openly supports the position relatively
quickly.  In places where we do not have strong support for a
recommendation we should be able to indentify that quickly as well
and add the issue to the 'work to be done' list.  I think doing this
work is an integral part of:
> wherein the Council will work towards achieving a Supermajority
> Vote to present to the Board.
and something we must do before we ask others to consider the report.

I also think we need to take a formal vote at the end on the full and
final-final report before sending it off to the Board as required by
by-laws. And we will need to decided as a council whether there may
be issues that require more expert opinion as indicated in the by-
laws 10b:

>     . The Council may, if it so chooses, solicit the opinions of
> outside advisors at its final meeting. The opinions of these
> advisors, if relied upon by the Council, shall be (i) embodied in
> the Council's report to the Board, (ii) specifically identified as
> coming from an outside advisor; and (iii) be accompanied by a
> detailed statement of the advisor's (x) qualifications and relevant
> experience; and (y) potential conflicts of interest.

thanks for asking

a.