[council] Draft reply Council on GNSO reform

Philip Sheppard philip.sheppard at aim.be
Wed Nov 21 14:03:49 UTC 2007

As agreed on yesterday's Council call, I promised to draft a short paper as a "straw man"
listing those recommendations on GNSO reform that may be supportable by Council as a whole.
Given the deadline is submission by 30 November I thought I'd better get a move on.

Not surprisingly those listed are ones seeking:
- improvements in policy development and timeline flexibility,
- improvements in communications,
- improvements in outreach
- greater support for constituencies.

I have left out proposals on structural change suspecting we will have differing views.

On working groups, I am proposing a partial support, suspecting we mostly feel they will
work for much policy work, but that tying our hands to have ONLY working groups for EVERY
issue before us would be too inflexible.

I hope I have captured areas of potential agreement. Your first comments please by November
25 after which time I'll edit a proposed final version.
Comments can be as simple as  - "yes I/we support" or can be proposals to strike one of the
proposed areas of agreement. In that case, a word of explanation would be good to share.

Philip