[council] Updated Job Description for discussion

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Thu Nov 22 15:56:27 UTC 2007

Very well done in my opinion Avri.

Regarding "Criteria that are especially important for 2008 ", we might
want to reword this something like this: "Criteria that are especially
important for the 2008 selection"; this change may be more for our
benefit than for the NomCom, but I think it is important for us to
realize the period when the nominee will begin service.  For example, as
I can tell you noted, Jon Bing's term will end next year and he has been
a very valuable contributer regarding 'knowledge of international law'
and 'intergovernmental expertise'; therefore, if Jon is not reselected,
we could have a gap in those areas.

Another possible area where we could have a gap is IDN technical
expertise.  We have primarily relied on Cary in this regard and he is no
longer on the Council.  Edmon also has good expertise in this area and
there may be others who can fill the gap here, but in the next few years
IDNs are going to be a very important topic.  So I would suggest that we
mark 'IDN expertise'.

One area that we seem to have missed is 'DNS Security'.  That is always
a need and with the incresing emphasis on DNSSEC, it might be useful to
not only add it to the list but to mark it.

Chuck Gomes