[council] ccNSO-GAC Issues Report on IDN Issues

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Wed Nov 28 15:22:05 UTC 2007

Hi,

While I tend to agree with your way of putting this, I am not sure
there is universal agreement on this.
I am not even sure if everyone, or a supermajority, within the GNSO
council agrees.

 From conversations I have been having since I started trying to
understand the scope of the IDNC
and the issue of trying to get more then 2 GNSO members to
participate I have perceived diametrically
opposed basic assumptions (with a variety of variants):

1. The entire name space including IDNs, with the exception of 3166-1
2 character ccTLD space, is
currently within the GNSO remit.

2. All gTLDs that have been allocated or will be allocated are within
the remit of the GNSO, but they
not within the remit until they are allocated to gTLD space.
Unassigned name space in not within
either SOs remit until assigned.

Personally I have always thought it was the first option and the
second option had not even occurred to
me until someone argued from that perspective.

This appears to be a key basic assumption in trying to determine
whether the GNSO merits equal
participation or representation in the IDNC.

1.  If you hold to the first point of view or some variant of it,
then the methods to be determined in the
IDNC are the first steps in the reapportionment of TLD name space.
I.e a method is determined by which
some of the TLD name space that is currently within the GNSO remit is
assigned to the ccNSO remit.
In which case the GNSO belongs at the table as an equal participant
with the ccNSO and GAC

2. If you hold to the second point of view, or some variant of it,
then the methods to be determined by the
IDNC  are the remit of the ccNSO and GAC.  and while it s appropriate
that the GNSO have representatives,
essentially liaisons, within the group, the GNSO is not fundamentally
responsible for the decisions the group
makes.

This is an issue for which we need to understand the GNSO position on
in order to finish the work on the
GNSO response to the issues paper and an issue that affects the GNSO
position in regard to the the IDNC.

thanks

a.