[council] Proposed Amendment to Motion #2

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Wed Oct 31 07:56:27 UTC 2007

Kristina, fellow councillors;

After consultation with the registrar community, I would like to offer
the following language as an amendment to motion #2 on Whois.

The purpose of these amendments is two-fold;

a) to conclude the policy development work of the GNSO on the issue of
Whois until such time that we have identified specific issues that we
can break down into discrete policy development activities. I do not
believe that we attempt again a broad reform of Whois but rather,
focus on smaller, narrower sets of issues in the field that we can
deal with in short periods of time while still achieving meaningful
results, and;

b) to focus the study work required to line up against specific policy
areas where we need further information in order to understand the
scope of issues or work required. A broad study of Whois will probably
be as effective and useful as a broad PDP on Whois. However, narrower
more focused study - or several of them even - will likely bring us
much closer to understanding the issues we need to properly consider
our policy work.

If anyone has any questions regarding these amendments, please let me
know. Thank you in advance for your consideration of this amendment.

---

WHEREAS;
1. The GNSO Council has recently received  the Whois  Working Group
final report and;

2. The GNSO Council acknowledges that the broad range of stakeholders
with interests in this issue has lead to a wide range of views of
what the policy issues are and how to best address those policy issues
with solutions that can be supported by the consensus of the community,
and;

3. The GNSO Council observes that the Working Group failed to reach
agreement on several of the key issues identified in the charter of the
Working Group, and;

4. That broadly, the scope of the issues in this area have evolved
substantially over the term of this Policy Development Process since
it was originally chartered, and;

5. A comprehensive, objective and quantifiable understanding of
key factual issues regarding the gTLD Whois system will
benefit future GNSO policy development efforts, and;

6. The rights and requirements of natural persons, anti-crime and law
enforcement, registries and registrars in the areas of privacy,
access, enforcement, investigation, consumer protection and research
would benefit from future policy development by the GNSO.

THEREFORE, Be it resolved that the GNSO Council;
1. Sincerely thanks all of the volunteers, advisors, consultants,
staff, stakeholders, observers and constituency participants who have
contributed to the GNSO's examination of Whois policy over the last
four years, and;

2. Formally ends the Policy Development Process on gTLD Whois without
making any recommendations for specific policy changes to ICANN’s Board
of Directors, and;

3. Recognizes the demand for future policy development in several key
areas and will immediately undertake to identify what specific policy
development work is required and create a data-gathering and study
plan to support this policy development no later than February 15th,
2008.

4. May initiate policy development activities in this area, as
supported by the findings of the data-gathering and study  activities
upon their completion.

---

Thank you in advance for considering these amendments.

Ross Rader
Director, Retail Services
t. 416.538.5492
c. 416.828.8783
http://www.domaindirect.com

"To solve the problems of today, we must focus on tomorrow."
- Erik Nupponen