[council] GNSO Council Restructuring - a wrinkle in the two houses approach

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Mon Dec 8 16:00:27 UTC 2008

Philip,

A possible new RySG constituency was already proposed in Cairo: City
gTLDs.  That would not be a splinter group because there are any not
city gTLDs that are members of the RyC.  It is true though that they
would be a subset of gTLD registries who have contracts with ICANN, so
if that is what you mean by splinter group, I suppose you would still
categorize them that way.

It is also possible, although I admit that I am not aware of any current
indication of such, that ICANN could in the future contract with other
parties who provide some sort of registration services.  If that ever
happened, the contracted party SGs should be able to accommodate them.

In the case of the RySG, I can tell you that we are in the early stages
of developing the RySG charter and in that regard are discussing a
design that would accommodate new registry constituencies if they are
formed.

Chuck