[council] Candidate Statement

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Dec 9 16:56:16 UTC 2008

Dear fellow council members,

I thank Tim for the nomination and Stéphane for the second.  I am
happy to accept this nomination.

If elected for another term, a last term, my focus will be on working
with the council to meet the requirements of the "Improvements" and
restructuring plans while trying to keep us on track with the many
policy areas we should be working on.  I also would plan to keep
working on improving the communications between the GNSO Council and
the other SOs and ACs (the ACSO).  I would also like to improve the
GNSO council's direct communications path with the ICANN Board as I do
not believe all of our communications should be filtered through the
staff..

I say this would be my last term because my term as an NCA council
member ends at the end of 2009 and I do not plan to submit an SOI for
the GNSO Council in 2009 - I think my time as fresh blood in the GNSO
council has long since passed.  Given that I would only have, at most,
a half year left to serve in 2009 by the time the new council is
seated, it would not be reasonable for me to run again once the bi-
cameral council had been seated.  If elected, I would like to serve in
the role until that new chair is chosen so as not to leave a gap and
to allow for as smooth a transition as possible.

I value my time in the GNSO Council and am happy to have been able to
serve as its chair for the last year and a half.  I think this is a
wonderful group with a critically important role to play in ICANN and
hence in the Internet in general.  I love the fact that so many
different viewpoints are brought together and that still we often find
that elusive consensus position.  We have complex issues and we are
committed to working with each other to resolve them - no matter how
much of a cacophony it may sound to observers on some occasions.  I
like this group of people and the relationships we have built, and, if
elected, would be happy to serve a while longer as chair.

Thanks

Avri