[council] Motion regarding New gTLDs

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Thu Dec 18 15:03:51 UTC 2008

I support a vote as well but, if more time is given before we vote: 1) it would be helpful to get a sense today where we are (e.g., straw poll); 2) we should vote no later than our 8 January meeting; 3)in the meantime it would be very helpful for the GNSO to communicate to the Staff and more importantly to the Board that we strongly believe the following two things.  First, neither the New gTLD or ccTLD fast track process should result in IDN TLDs in the root before the other unless both the GNSO and ccNSO so agree.  Second, fast track IDN ccTLDs should not be entered into the root if they do not have an enforceable commitment to do the following that gTLDs must go i) follow minimal security and stability requirements, IDN Guidelines and IDN standards; ii) pay ICANN fees sufficient to ensure that IDN ccTLDs are fully self-funding and are not cross-subsidized by other ICANN activities.

Regarding ii) above, please note the following statement contained in the first bullet in the "Summary of Key Points in This Paper" section of the Explanatory Memorandum for New gTLD Applicant Guidebook Module 1 titled "Cost Considerations of the New gTLD Program": "The new gTLD implementation should be fully self-funding (costs should not exceed fees; existing ICANN activities regarding technical coordination of names, numbers and other identifiers should not cross-subsidize this new program)."  See http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/cost-considerations-23oct08-en.pdf.

Would those who do not want to vote today on my original motion with the friendly amendment from Stephane be willing to vote on a motion like the following instead?

"Whereas both the GNSO and ccNSO are anticipating implementation of processes to introduce IDN TLDs in 2009, resolve 1) the GNSO Council strongly believes that neither the New gTLD or ccTLD fast track process should result in IDN TLDs in the root before the other unless both the GNSO and ccNSO so agree, and 2) fast track IDN ccTLDs should not be entered into the root if they do not have an enforceable commitment to do the following as gTLDs must do: i) follow minimal security and stability requirements, IDN Guidelines and IDN standards; ii) pay ICANN fees sufficient to ensure that IDN ccTLDs are fully self-funding and are not cross-subsidized by other ICANN activities."

I understand that we haven't had 7 days notice for this motion but I believe that it is perfectly consistent with positions that we as a Council have approved and communicated before.

Chuck