[council] ICANN Board resolution from meeting of 11 Dec 08

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Dec 23 17:21:51 UTC 2008

Hi,

Thanks for the rather emphatic answer below.  I am glad to hear there
is a place for Independent Professional Registrants.

I was, however, looking at the BC application, and I did not see an
Individual category, only a

>   micro enterprise
>
> 	(both under 10 employees and under  Euro 0.5 million turnover)

or from the membership pack

> Category 3
>
> Is for Micro enterprises defined as companies which can demonstrate
> both less than 10 employees and a turnover of less than €0.5
> million and costs just €250 per year.

And from the charter:

> 3.1. The following may become members of the Business Constituency:
> 	Subject to 3.2, any legally recognised for-profit entity that has
> been delegated a domain and that uses the Internet to conduct for-
> profit business.
> 	Subject to 3.2, any organization such as a trade association
> representing such entities.

Is there a separate application for individual professional registrants?

For example, I am, in addition to being an academic, a consultant who
has a domain name that I use for the commercial purposes of my
consultancy (protocol design, standards certification etc).  I am not
a corporate entity, a registered business or even a DBA but am what is
called is call an independent professional (1099 in the US tax
parlance).  So this is a commercial registration (non natural person
in the Whois context) and the consultancy is hopefully for profit
though not at all related to ICANN activities, and hence not qualified
in this respect for the NCSG.  Under what category could I apply for
membership  (of course if I were not currently an NCA)?

The Membership info also reflects

> The Business Constituency is a constituency representing customers
> of providers of connectivity, domain names, Internet Protocol
> addresses and other services related to electronic commerce in its
> broad sense.

The Independent professionals I am asking about generally have domain
names but may be using the Internet for commercial purpose without
actually using it for electronic commerce.  Some do, e.g. music
download by individual artists, but often it is only to advertise ones
service and provide contact info.

Does this still fall in the broad sense?

thanks

a.