[council] Corrected: US DOC/NTIA comments on new gTLD process

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Tue Dec 23 17:47:08 UTC 2008

I would think we might be able to come to some position with regard to
geographic names and single character IDNs.

Also, I think that it might be useful to provide ICANN Staff/Board some
reactions to the DoC/DoJ letters.  There seem to me to be some
underlying assumptions by them that are wrong.  For example, they view
ICANN as simply a corporate entity that is making decisions.  Clearly
the Board does ultimately make decisions but not until after lengthy
bottom-up processess involving very diverse stakeholders.

Chuck