[council] draft working definitions of WHOIS-related terms attached

Liz Gasster liz.gasster at icann.org
Tue Dec 23 22:34:30 UTC 2008

All,

You may recall that in Cairo the Council decided that it would be helpful to develop "working definitions" of several terms that are being used in the context of Council discussions of possible future studies of WHOIS.  At the meeting, Council members identified eight terms and asked staff to develop initial working definitions that the Council could use as a starting point for further discussion and definition. In order to respond to the Council's request, staff solicited definitions for these terms from GNSO Council members and community stakeholders.  We also researched and reviewed ICANN meeting transcripts, policy and compliance documents and constituency position statements, as well as other reference papers.   The attached is a compilation of that research, intended to respond to the Council's request.  The attached is an initial first draft - it does not represent the viewpoints or positions of ICANN or ICANN staff and is for community discussion purposes only.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like further information.  I will also be uploading a copy of this draft to the Council workspace under "Whois references" -- https://st.icann.org/gnso-council/index.cgi?whois_references

Thanks, Liz