[council] Regarding individual users

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Fri Dec 26 10:21:00 UTC 2008

Hello Chuck,

> Bruce - Thanks.  Denise alerted us to this in our Council meeting
> yesterday.  I some questions for you. The resolution seems to focus on
> individual non-commercial Internet users only.  Was that intentional?
> Why were individual commercial Internet users (e.g., sole
> proprietorships) excluded?

I think there is an understanding that there are commercial as well as
non-commercial Internet users, but the focus of discussions has been on
encouraging participation from non-commercial Internet users that may
not be heavily involved in policy development at present.    Many of
these non-commercial Internet users may not be domain name registrants.

I note that individual commercial Internet users also are quite diverse
in their interests in domain names - ranging from those that are not
domain name registrants and merely use the Internet for communication
with suppliers, to those that actively maintain a portfolio of second
level domains that either appreciate in capital value or earn money
through advertising.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin