[council] Regarding individual users

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Dec 26 16:40:57 UTC 2008

Hi,

On 26 Dec 2008, at 05:21, Bruce Tonkin wrote:

> I note that individual commercial Internet users also are quite
> diverse
> in their interests in domain names - ranging from those that are not
> domain name registrants and merely use the Internet for communication
> with suppliers, to those that actively maintain a portfolio of second
> level domains that either appreciate in capital value or earn money
> through advertising.

While I have not seen figures and it would be interesting to see such
figures, I assume a much larger group (at least larger then the
portfolio holder category) of Commercial interest are the Registrants
whose small or single proprietor businesses depend on the outreach,
advertising and information distribution gained through use of heir
web sites.

And while the outreach of the GNSO into the non-registrant user
community has been prescribed, I still think the GNSO  needs to make
sure that we care for the interests of all registrants, commercial and
non-commercial, as a special class, as they are dependent on  the GNSO
and its council as the only voice they have in order to get a fair
deal from ICANN and its contracted parties.  I am hoping we don't
forget these two categories of registrants while making a further
outreach to non-registrant users as these registrants remain
unrepresented for the most part (despite a few individuals who are
represented).

a.