[council] Response to ccNSO/GAC Issues report

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Mon Feb 11 05:49:32 UTC 2008

The same issue was raised at my table by the board members.  The
feeling was "if two countries are going to start a war over a domain
name, that is their problem.  They must pick 1 name."  I think there
is merit to this view.    It was also mentioned that Chinese is a
script that is used by a large community in just about EVERY country
in the world, so does this mean every country gets a script in
Chinese?    In the US alone, there are large language communities for
probably 10 scripts, giving the US 10 scripts under our rule.   I do
not believe this is what we intended.

And a few other points were raised that need to be dealt with.  In
particular, the recommendation that "strings must not be confusingly
similar" is misplaced.  Only technical confusion is the type that
should be dealt with here, not general confusion.  I agree.  This
recommendation really does not make sense from a trademark viewpoint
(although that is how it is intended), since a domain name, by
itself, does not cause confusion, but only with relation to how the
domain is used.    We are going well beyond technical stability and
trying to regulate other things that are outside ICANN's authority.

Perhaps we should give more thought to our recommendations before we
vote on them.    I found the feedback from the board to be enormously
useful and we should try to address their concerns before voting.

Thanks,
Robin

On Feb 10, 2008, at 7:39 PM, Norbert Klein wrote:

> I also agree with Avri's suggestion, where others already consented.
>
> At the table I was - and I later talking to people from another
> table - there
> was opposition to the "One IDNccTLD per one script per one language
> group": "their government should decide to choose just one."
>
> I was surprised about the lack of sensitivity on the political/
> social/cultural
> implications. I argued - as a example - saying that it would be highly
> destructive in the presently tense situation, if the Malaysian
> government
> would give preference to the Chinese over against the Indian ethnic
> sections
> of the society by allocating only one IDNccTLD, but this was dismissed
> as "not ICANN's problem."
>
> Norbert
>
> -

> Subject: RE: [council] Response to ccNSO/GAC Issues report
> Date: Monday, 11 February 2008
> From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon at dotasia.org>
> To: "'Council GNSO'" <council at gnso.icann.org>
>

> Agreed.
> Edmon

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org