[council] Response to ccNSO/GAC Issues report

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Tue Feb 12 12:11:02 UTC 2008

Hi,

While it would be inconsistent with the new gTLD policy
recommendations, I don't know if there is a necessity for consistency
in this case as we are dealing with ccTLDs not gTLDs and we are
dealing with significant expressions of a countries name or identity.
So the conditions might be different.

In terms of the statement I am not sure I know what Technical
confusion is any more then I really understood what confusingly
similar was.  Are we saying it should not be visually or
homographically similar,?  I also wonder if there is another problem
in this one.  The name of a country in various representations  will
be similar to the name of the country in another representation - but
in a sense that seems appropriate and not a problem.

a.