[council] Since I can't participate by phone

Rosette, Kristina krosette at cov.com
Wed Feb 13 03:55:40 UTC 2008

Cyril raises an important point here.  The implications are significant.

Limiting ourselves to technical confusion is simply not, in my view,
practical.  Can you imagine the chaos that will result if entire
language communities are confused because of the similarity in the
strings?

On another note, the IDN Working Group reached Agreement (in the RFC
2119 way) on the principle that confusingly similar strings should be
avoided.  We have never questioned the process by which the IDN WG
reached that conclusion and, in fact, the BGC WG singles out the IDN WG
as an example of a successful WG.  What does a Council decision to
reject a properly-constituted, process-following WG principle on which
Agreement was reached mean for the viability for the BGC WG
recommendations?