[council] Response to IDNC (Fast Track) Initial Report

Edmon Chung edmon at dotasia.org
Wed Feb 13 10:11:18 UTC 2008

As discussed earlier in the council meeting today, we would move forward to
draft a response from the GNSO to the Initial Report from the IDNC
(http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-01feb08.htm and
http://ccnso.icann.org/workinggroups/draft-initial-report-idnc-wg-01feb08.pdf).
The Initial Report is essentially a list of questions intended to solicit
public comments.  The structure of it is divided into 2 main parts: (1)
selection of IDN ccTLD string for Fast Track; (2) designation IDN ccTLD
manager.

At this stage the Initial Report has been posted and the public comment period
will close on February 26, 2008, which is less than 2 weeks from now.  Another
important note is that the first draft of the "Interim Report" which will
include proposed answers to the questions is targeted to be drafted by Feb 29,
which is also just around 2 weeks from now.

Since the connection for remote participation was challenging, would like to
also invite people to participate in the drafting team with this email (and to
note that I believe it does not have to be limited to council members).

Glen will be starting a mailing list for this and will suggest to convene for
a conference call next week.  So far, from today's discussion, we would be
starting a new mailing list with: myself, Avri, Charles Shaban, Cary and Olga,
along with some help from ICANN staff.  I believe Olof and Liz has agreed,
hopefully Tina can join us as well?...

I will work to have a first draft of the response based our ccNSO/GAC issues
paper response over this weekend.

Edmon

PS. Also as discussed during the council meeting and hearing no objection,
noting also that the deadline for comment on the Initial Report is Feb 26,
whereas our next council meeting is scheduled for Feb 28, we will be
requesting for an extension of the comment period for a few days.  Should such
request be declined, we will attempt to complete our response over mailing
list and circulating it on the council list for final review so we could
submit our response on Feb 26.