[council] IDN TLDs and Board Motion 2008.02.15.11

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sun Feb 17 04:57:20 UTC 2008

Hi,

I just wanted to write a short public note to personally thank Susan
Crawford for her difficult vote on Board Motion 2008.02.15.11.  The
way the motion was worded it was hard to vote against, after all, who
could be against dialogue?  However, what I believe was hidden in this
motion was rejection of the GNSO's position regarding the importance
of separate community wide understanding the classification, or
allotment by any other name, of TLDs which was contained in the GNSO
council's request to the Board.  I personally see Susan's vote as
support for the GNSO position that the entire names community needs to
be involved in the process.

With this motion, I believe that any hope we may have had for a
parallel process is now in the past.  I believe we must make the best
of the opportunities we will have to comment on, and be part of, the
ccNSO and GAC processes to establish a de-facto classification among
IDN TLDs and to create a fair playing ground for all IDN TLDs.

Thanks Susan.

a.