[council] [Fwd: Candidate Statement]

GNSO.SECRETARIAT@GNSO.ICANN.ORG gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org
Sun Feb 24 12:24:40 UTC 2008

Dear Council Members,

Please find the Rita Rodin's candidate statement for the position of
ICANN Director, seat 14.

A reminder: there will be the opportunity for the Council and
constituency members to interview Rita on the Thursday, 28 February call
at 19:00 UTC.

Thank you,
Glen

Candidate Name:  Rita A. Rodin
Citizenship: United States of America
Employer:  Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom LLP

Criteria for Selection of Directors

1. Accomplished persons of integrity, objectivity, and intelligence,
with reputations for sound judgment and open minds, and a demonstrated
capacity for thoughtful group decision-making;

I am a partner in the Intellectual Property and Technology Group in the
New York office of the law firm of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom
LLP. I received a Bachelor of Science (magna cum laude) from Boston
College in 1990, and Juris Doctor from St. John's University in 1993. I
served as a federal law clerk to the Honorable Thomas C. Platt, Chief
Judge of the Eastern District of New York, from 1993-1994.

I joined Skadden in 1994, as our internet practice was beginning. Our
practice permits me to represent both multi-national and start-up
companies, in a diverse range of industries and countries. I have worked
with clients such as Merck KGaA, Richemont SA, Skype Technologies, IBM,
Deloitte and Touche and Banco Itau.

My practice today is diverse and international, and I focus on mergers
and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances and outsourcing
arrangements.   I regularly lecture and write on various intellectual
property and technology topics, including outsourcing, trademark and
domain name developments and open source software.

My clients rely on me to identify, understand and negotiate complex
positions and arrangements.  I believe to be successful in that role, I
must listen to and respect all points of view, and work to facilitate
compromise and agreement.  I further believe that skills of this nature
can and should be employed within the ICANN community to foster trust,
consensus and progress on some of the difficult issues facing ICANN
today.

2. Persons with an understanding of ICANN's mission and the potential
impact of ICANN decisions on the global Internet community, and
committed to the success of ICANN.

I have been fortunate to serve on the ICANN Board since June of 2006,
and to work with ICANN and members of the ICANN community since 1998.
In my various roles, I have developed an understanding of the issues and
touch points of many of ICANNs stakeholders, and also understand now
from a Directors point of view, the challenges that the organization has
faced and continues to face.

I decided to run for the Board seat again because I believe that we are
entering a critical phase of ICANNs growth and development, and am
committed to assist in any way that I can to the continued improvement
of the organization.

3. Persons who will produce the broadest cultural and geographic
diversity on the Board consistent with meeting the other criteria set
forth in this Section;

I am from the United States, so generally will approach my Director
duties from a US perspective, but I have worked and traveled quite
extensively throughout the world and still have close family living in
other countries.  I believe that this enables me to understand and
appreciate different cultures and points of view.

I also believe that it is important to maintain a gender balanced
Director slate, as there are relatively few women currently serving on
the Board.

Finally, I think that being the tallest Board member (even when not in
heels) also contributes to diversity.

4. Persons who, in the aggregate, have personal familiarity with the
operation of gTLD registries and registrars; with ccTLD registries; with
IP address registries; with Internet technical standards and protocols;
with policy-development procedures, legal traditions, and the public
interest; and with the broad range of business, individual, academic,
and non-commercial users of the Internet;

As I mentioned above, I worked with ICANN and different constituencies
since the organization's inception in 1998.  Following are some details.

UDRP

In 1998, my firm was asked to represent register.com and AOL in
connection with drafting an effective and streamlined policy to deal
with disputes between trademark and domain name owners. We worked with
the World Intellectual Property Organization, registrars, Network
Solutions (then, the sole .com/net/org registry) and ICANN to create a
draft of the UDRP. After I presented the draft at the ICANN meeting in
Santiago, Chile, I was asked to participate in a small drafting
committee consisting of members of the non-commercial and intellectual
property interests, in addition to members of WIPO and ICANN. This
committee finalized the policy that is still in use today.

.INFO/.NAME./.TEL

I worked with the group of registrars that formed Afilias, Ltd.,
operators of the .info registry, through the (i) formation of Afilias,
(ii) ICANN bid process, (iii) ICANN contract negotiations, and (iv)
start-up of its operations.

I also represented the Global Name Registry in connection with its ICANN
contract negotiations and start-up operations.

I currently represent Telnic, Ltd., the entity that was recently awarded
the .tel sTLD.

POLICY DEVELOPMENT PROCESS

In 2002, I was appointed by ICANN to chair an international task force
that drafted the Policy Development Process that is currently used by
ICANN to develop and implement future ICANN policies.

As discussed above, I am a transactional lawyer with a diverse and
global practice. As such, my job consists of identifying issues and
proposing resolutions for clients with different points of view and
cultural backgrounds. In addition, my work requires that I interface
with an organization at all levels - - from advising Boards and senior
management to addressing issues facing those responsible for the
execution of day-to-day operations.

In this role, I cannot only advocate the position of my client, because
without a mutually acceptable solution, no agreement will be reached.
Rather, I must listen to, and understand, all sides of an issue in order
to facilitate reaching agreement.

I view these skills as very important for a member of ICANN's Board.
Given the diverse nature of the global internet community, I think that
it is critical for the Board to listen to, and appreciate, all voices
and opinions. I believe that the Board must assist constituencies in
seeking and reaching consensus, to enable all involved to benefit from
the resolution of issues.

I also view my experience with multiple constituencies within the ICANN
community as providing me with unique insight into the often competing
concerns and issues of many of the community stakeholders.  I would seek
to use this experience to accommodate the interests of as many ICANN
stakeholders as possible.

5. Persons who are willing to serve as volunteers, without compensation
other than the reimbursement of certain expenses; and

I am willing to serve in the absence of compensation other than the
reimbursement of certain expenses.

6. Persons who are able to work and communicate in written and spoken
English.

English is my native language.

Section 4. ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS

1. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, no official of a
national government or a multinational entity established by treaty or
other agreement between national governments may serve as a Director. As
used herein, the term "official" means a person (i) who holds an
elective governmental office or (ii) who is employed by such government
or multinational entity and whose primary function with such government
or entity is to develop or influence governmental or public policies.

I am not such an official.

2. No person who serves in any capacity (including as a liaison) on any
Supporting Organization Council shall simultaneously serve as a Director
or liaison to the Board. If such a person accepts a nomination to be
considered for selection by the Supporting Organization Council to be a
Director, the person shall not, following such nomination, participate
in any discussion of, or vote by, the Supporting Organization Council
relating to the selection of Directors by the Council, until the Council
has selected the full complement of Directors it is responsible for
selecting. In the event that a person serving in any capacity on a
Supporting Organization Council accepts a nomination to be considered
for selection as a Director, the constituency group or other group or
entity that selected the person may select a replacement for purposes of
the Council's selection process.

I have not served on any Supporting Organization Council.

3. Persons serving in any capacity on the Nominating Committee shall be
ineligible for selection to positions on the Board as provided by
Article VII, Section 8.

I have not served on the Nominating Committee.

To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we advise you
that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice
contained in this message was not intended or written to be used, and
cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties
under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law
provisions or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party
any tax-related matters addressed herein.

This email and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this
email, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this email, and any attachments thereto, is strictly
prohibited. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify
me at (212) 735-3000 and permanently delete the original copy and any
copy of any email, and any printout thereof.

Further information about the firm, a list of the Partners and their
professional qualifications will be provided upon request.

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat - ICANN
gnso.secretariat[at]gnso.icann.org
http://gnso.icann.org