[council] ICANN Makes Presentation to Midterm Review Public Meeting

GNSO.SECRETARIAT@GNSO.ICANN.ORG gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org
Fri Feb 29 08:59:35 UTC 2008

[To: council[at]gnso.icann.org; liaison6c[at]gnso.icann.org]
[To: ga[at]gnso.icann.org; announce[at]gnso.icann.org]
[To: regional-liaisons[at]icann.org]

http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-28feb08.htm
ICANN Makes Presentation to Midterm Review Public Meeting

Now is the time to start planning transition

WASHINGTON, DC: The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
made its presentation on the Midterm Review of the Joint Project
Agreement (JPA) between itself and the United States Department of
Commerce at a public meeting held today in Washington, DC.

"I think that after almost 10 years of experience of this model the
question before us is very stark: Are we going to complete the White
Paper’s vision of private sector management of the Internet’s system of
unique identifiers? I believe the overwhelming view from virtually all
participants is that transition is the goal and the interest is in
settling how we get there," ICANN Chair Peter Dengate Thrush said.

Today’s public meeting was held to discuss the written submissions that
the National Telecommunications and Information Administration had
received during its recently concluded public comment period on the JPA
between the U.S. Department of Commerce and ICANN. The JPA was signed in
September 2006, is due to conclude in September 2009 and was scheduled
for a Midterm Review at this point.

In his presentation the Chairman said he would ask the President’s
Strategy Committee to outline a plan for developing this transition
framework. They will meet in April and make a first presentation
involving the community, starting a process for further engagement with
the community at the ICANN meeting in Paris in June. The process will be
guided by the input ICANN has received so far from its own
consultations, and the analysis of the comments surveyed in this Review.

"The U.S. government has been and remains a staunch advocate for an
Internet that is based on values of freedom, enterprise and crucially
coordination — not control. Now, there are final steps to be taken to
make this a reality and to celebrate an enlightened U.S. policy under
two administrations to transition to private sector management of the
domain name system.

"We all now need to work together over the 18 months remaining in the
JPA to finalize the model for the long term," Dengate Thrush said.

The complete statement to the public meeting is available on the ICANN
website at
http://www.icann.org/jpa/presentation-to-jpa-midterm-review-public-meeting-28feb08.pdf
[PDF, 201K].
--