[council] FW: [ipf] SSAC advisory on fast flux hosting and DNS

Mike Rodenbaugh mxrodenbaugh at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 17:02:56 UTC 2008

http://www.icann.org/committees/security/sac025.pdf

Fyi there is a recent report from SSAC, which recommends that the community
examine steps to mitigate the criminal effects of fast flux hosting.  The
rise of fast flux hosting has had severely negative effects on law
enforcement (private and governmental) efforts to deal with e-crime.
Moreover, fast flux hosting appears to have no legitimate purpose, and can
be effectively mitigated by certain steps adopted by some registries and
registrars already.  SSAC has done great background work here, and now I
think it is time for the GNSO to take lead on this issue.

I would like to have preliminary discussion at a Council meeting in the near
future, please.  I also copy the Business Constituency for comments back to
me or the BC List please.

Thanks,
Mike Rodenbaugh