[council] Summary of Public Comments - IRTP PDP on Clarification of DenialReasons

Tim Ruiz tim at godaddy.com
Wed Jul 23 15:43:43 UTC 2008

I'd like to explain what I believe to be the group's reasoning for not
accepting the IPC's proposal. I want to assure Steve and the IPC that we
did not gloss over their proposal. It was carefully considered.

While the group's work was part of a PDP, the Council created it as a
"drafting team charged with producing a recommendation for Council
deliberation that includes precise wording for the 4 provisions for
reason for denial of Inter-Registrar transfers."

As a result, we understood our task to be "clarification" of the
existing reasons based on the previous and extensive work already done
under this PDP to determine the original intent of each reason, and not
one of recommending changes to the policy. The IPC proposed wording,
while well reasoned, we believed constituted a change and/or addition to
the original intent of those reasons, and therefore a change in the
policy.

We used the same approach when addressing the other two reasons. While
the previous work done under the PDP seemed clear that the majority of
stakeholders were in agreement as to the original intent of reasons #8
and #9, that was not so clear regarding reasons #5 and #7. As a result,
we felt they would be best considered during one of the upcoming
Transfer PDPs.

Disclaimer: This is my recollection. Others on the drafting team may
recall things differently.

Tim