[council] "Improvements" Planning Efforts

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Mar 18 18:55:59 UTC 2008

Hi,

Attached a copy of a message that is being sent to the Board concerning
work that is beginning on the GSNO Improvements.  As you  will note we
have started a planning group together with the staff.    This group
is going
to be doing the  high level planning of how we will organize the main
work
of the GNSO Improvements Project, and will not be responsible for any
substantive decisions or recommendations about the improvements
themselves.

Currently Chuck and I as well as several members of the ICANN Policy
staff,
including Denise, Liz and Rob, are members of this group.  This is
just the
core of this group. We have invited the Board BGC GNSO Review Working
Group to add a member to this group and need to add more GNSO members.
We want to satisfy three goals simultaneously in adding members to the
group;

- insure that a diverse set of perspectives is included in the
planning group
- include some participants with relevant organizational experience
- keep the group small.

In the GNSO Improvements Project we will not need to restrict ourselves
to council members, but for this planning committee, I would suggest
that
we do choose from among council members and constituency members.
I also think that adding a person from each constituency might be
unwieldy
and hope that we can limit participation to a few people who can be
trusted
in this planning task by several constituencies.  As you can read in
the note
below, we are planing to organize several other Standing Committees and
other work teams and there will be a large number of opportunities for
participation by council members, constituency members, and others in
the
ICANN community in the groups making the actual recommendations.

I would like to initiate  conversations on the list on the designation
of 2-3 other
members of this group.  I would like to resolve this as soon as
possible, with
resolution during our upcoming meeting at the latest if not before.

Thanks

a.