[council] Notes from Council/staff meeting on new gTLDs

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Sun May 4 16:33:32 UTC 2008

Hi Olof,

Thanks for these notes.   There were 2 points in the draft that I had
concerns with.

1.  Under the "Country, territory and place names" section it says:
"It is unclear whether GAC views should trump other views ..."

I don't remember hearing anyone at the meeting say GAC views should
trump the views of other stake-holders.  I don't think anyone
suggested that ICANN should no longer be led by the private sector
and that anyone stakeholder should be able to trump other stake-
holders.  Who suggested this at the LA mtg?

2.  Also under the "Country, territory and place names" section, a
point that I made in LA is missing from these notes.  I stated that
it was inappropriate to use the Paris Convention to justify not
permitting tlds with country names in them since the Paris Convention
regulates commercial speech ONLY - not ALL speech.  So I think this
point, which was made in the LA mtg, should be included in the
notes.  Thanks.

Best,
Robin

On Apr 29, 2008, at 12:17 PM, Olof Nordling wrote:

> Dear all,
> Attached please find notes from the meeting between GNSO Council
> and staff regarding new gTLD implementation work in LA on 10-11 April.
>
> Very best regards
>
> Olof
> <GNSO meeting notes(complete).pdf>

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org