[council] WHOIS study group report attached

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Wed May 28 23:43:42 UTC 2008

Thanks for this report Liz.  It was helpful for me to read the rationale provided by each side, but I found it difficult without going to other documents to readily understand study categories and study numbers.  I have a few questions and comments in that regard.

Am I correct in concluding that there are multiple studies under consideration for each category?  If that is the case, it would be helpful to have the individual studies identified in the report, possibly in an Annex.  That would also have made it easier to figure out what studies were being referenced when the study # was given.  It is my opinion that reports like this should be as self-contained as possible without making them too bulky; otherwise, it becomes extremely time consuming for those who did not directly participate to read and understand the material.

Am I correct that the numbers in the table in Annex 1 refer to priorities 1-7 and that those who provided the priorities ranked the seven categories?  Was everyone asked to do the same thing in this regard?  I note that the RyC response is very different from the rest.and tough to correlate with the other data.

The purpose of my questions and comments are two-fold: 1) to make sure I understand the report; 2) to possibly identify ways that reports like this could be improved in the future.

Chuck